Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Predestination - Part 1 - Testimony

Detail -  "Creation of Adam" by Michelangelo -  1512
Predestination remains a complex and controversial topic within the Church.  After holding some challenging conversations with some Christian friends, I want to begin to address this topic in this blog.  It may take more than one post here (since I try to keep them short), so I want to begin with a personal testimony.

My parents raised me Catholic.  But when they divorced, I (along with my family) drifted away. In public high school (following parochial elementary school), I became an atheist.  But later, near 20, I converted to a born-again evangelical faith.

For several years, I was proud I made a decision for Christ.  However, as the years went by, I began to realize that all along, God had a plan for me, and moved first to reach out to me, long before I made a decision to accept Christ, and the price he paid at the cross to save me.

Before long following that, I began to realize, that most of what of goes on around me revolves more of what
God does, and less of what I do.  Regardless of what I plan or decide, purpose or determine, it seems to go different, and as I look back, it seems it went according to God's plan all along.  I don't mean what I do is not important, it is.  It just means what God does is more important.  That is why I pray.

So as time went on, it became easier to accept what the Bible describes as predestination.  The Church has taught this through the ages to varying degrees in different tradtions.  When properly taught, it does not take away from the freedom (free will) God bestowed upon mankind in his creation.  However, I will deal with this issue in future posts.

For now, I pose the question: Did you choose God first, or, as you look back, did God choose you first?  Or another way of looking at it: Did you act first, or did God?

Part 2 - Predestination - Misconceptions

No comments: